For many, Adidas and Nike are the go-to brands for sportswear apparel and footwear. Although American-founded Nike is the higher earner of the two, German brand Adidas is a close second. Both are beloved by athletes and casual shoe wearers across the globe.
Our guide explores Adidas vs. Nike sizing. If you’re considering switching from one to the other, you’re likely already sold on design and quality. Sizing is a vital concern as well, and it can be tricky when you’re dealing with international conversions.
We’ll discuss Nike to Adidas shoe size conversion, general fitting tips, and sizing advice for both manufacturers to help you get a snug, comfy fit.
Sizing of Adidas vs. Nike shoes includes:
- What are the differences?
- Nike to Adidas shoe conversion.
- Adidas runs bigger.
- Company-specific size chart.
Nike to Adidas Shoe Size Conversion
Before we discuss calculating the Nike to Adidas shoe size conversion, remember that this isn’t the only route you can take to determine your size.
For an even more accurate fit, use the brand-specific sizing chart and follow the advice we outline below.
We’ll start with the similarities. Nike and Adidas both provide generic size charts for men, women, and juniors. The two offer conversions from inches and centimeters into US shoe sizes.
Now, let’s talk about the differences. The Adidas size chart shows the UK, EU, and JP (centimeter) sizes for adults, whereas Nike only lists US sizes.
Adidas runs bigger than Nike by up to 5 millimeters. For example, if you’re a women’s size 8 for Adidas, your foot is 9.7-inches long. The same size on Nike tallies up to 9.62 inches, about a millimeter smaller.
The disparity is more evident with half sizes. A women’s 6.5 translates to 9.12 inches on Nike and 9.2 inches on Adidas, which is a fairly big gap.
You can find the Adidas adult sizes here, and kids’ sizes here. For Nike, men can take a look at their sizes here, women here, and juniors here.
Our Tricks to Get the Perfect Fit
Shoe sizing seems deceptively simple, but it can require more thought than you think. Try our techniques to lower the chances of getting a bad fit:
- Never assume or guess what size you are. Measure your feet from the heel to your longest toe. You can do this by tracing your foot on a piece of paper. Make sure you place your heel against the wall and try to be precise if you’re by yourself. Watch this video for more measuring techniques.
- Even if you’re buying the exact same brand and style of shoes you already own, size yourself. Your footwear can loosen with age, and your feet can change over time with age, illness, or after pregnancy.
- Remember to consult the size chart of the brand you’re buying from. Don’t risk converting the sizes wrong and having to return your footwear.
- If you wear insoles to support your feet at work or while you play your favorite sport, don’t forget to try them in your shoes. Your pair might fit perfectly but turn out to be too tight once you slip your inserts in.
- Socks can be a game-changer for how your footwear fits. Athletes, in particular, should wear their socks of choice with their new shoes. Your everyday socks aren’t the same as lightweight runner’s socks.
- If your shoes are uncomfortably tight or your feet are slipping out, that means you may need to go up or down a half size or more. Poorly-sized shoes heighten your chances of falls, foot deformities, and pain.
- Take the time to read the reviews about your shoes before you buy them. Are customers complaining that they’re too narrow or loose? Do many people complain that they’re receiving a size too large or too small?
- Measure your feet after a typical day or training session. Your feet will swell throughout the day, particularly if your job or sport puts a lot of pressure on them.
- For the same reason, try on your new shoes at a similar time. A looser fit first thing in the morning might not correspond to your true size, before your feet swell.
- Don’t be afraid to test out your footwear thoroughly. Both Adidas and Nike have 30-day return policies. Walk, run, and jump in your new shoes to see if they’re comfortable. Do this indoors on clean or carpeted floors, as you don’t want to void the return policy with damage or dirt.
Additional Sizing Tips for Nike Shoes
If your new footwear is going to be from Nike, bear in mind these suggestions:
- Nike has a mobile app to make things easier for prospective buyers. Download Nike Fit, and it will calculate your size for any model of shoe based on a photo of your feet. For greater accuracy, you can head to a Nike store and stand on a Nike Fit mat.
- The inches version of the size chart may be too math-heavy for some. If you’re not willing to convert one-eighths and three-quarters into fractions, you might want to measure your feet in centimeters.
Additional Sizing Tips for Adidas Shoes
Are you choosing a pair of Adidas to add to your collection? Here are a few tips for the brand:
- If you’re buying shoes for your infant or child, they’ll come with adiFIT You can compare your little one’s feet to the inserts to ensure they fall within the appropriate size range.
- Adidas recommends going one size up or one size down if you’re between sizes and want a looser or tighter fit, respectively.
- Although Adidas shoes usually fit true to size, the Ultraboost line is an exception. For Ultraboost 1.0 and 2.0, the company suggests choosing half a size larger if you have wide feet.
- On that note, Cloudfoam shoes for women may run bigger. Although many buyers are satisfied with their regular sizes, some have found the shoes too large by at least half a size. Read our article on how Adidas shoes fit here to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Adidas Run Bigger or Smaller Than Nike?
Yes, Adidas runs bigger than Nike, anywhere from 1 to 5 millimeters. That’s why you should rely on the company-specific size chart rather than size conversions.
Do Adidas and Nike Fit the Same?
No, and you shouldn’t think they do. Although some sizes may be similar, they’re not going to be identical. Every shoe is different, and it isn’t wise to presume one brand will fit the same as the other.
Adidas vs Nike Which Is Better?
The two rival companies have plenty to offer customers in the way of footwear. Both sell athletic and casual shoes from slides to sneakers in varying designs.
As to which one is better, that’s up to you. If you own a pair of each, you’ll be the final judge.
Enjoy Your New Adidas or Nikes
Now you have the lowdown on Adidas vs. Nike sizing. It isn’t our place to say which brand is best, but we can say that Adidas shoes run bigger than Nikes.
There are plenty of benefits of a perfectly-fitted shoe, not least of which is your comfort. For sports like soccer, your shoes can impact performance for the worse if they aren’t a good fit.
We hope that our guide has been informative. If you know anyone curious about Adidas and Nike sizing, please share our article with them. We want to hear your opinion of the two in the comments.
Is Adidas bigger than Nike? ›
However, over the years, both the US and German sports labels have maintained two recognizable brands around the world. Yes, financially Nike is known to be much larger than Adidas, but the latter's performance has been better over recent years.Does Adidas run big or small? ›
Adidas sizing is generally true to size. The label themselves advise that for a more loose feel, you should go up a size or, for a more snug fit, try a size smaller. These are, after all, relaxed sports-oriented pieces that need to fit your particular lifestyle.Should I size up or down in Nike? ›
Nike shoes tend to run smaller than most and tend to also have a narrower toe box. This means that most people will have to buy a size up to fit into a Nike shoe.What are the differences between Nike and Adidas? ›
When comparing its founding dates, Adidas is a more established brand than Nike. Nike is a sportswear brand established in the United States, while Adidas is based in Germany. Nike's critical market consumers are basketball and running athletes, whereas Adidas' primary market buyers are tennis and soccer.Which are better Nike or Adidas? ›
Nike's scale is a big advantage, adidas doesn't even come close. adidas looks cheaper than Nike and has been a better growth story, but there is a reason for Nike's high valuation. Nike is better managed than adidas and has a stronger brand. Nike is a better long-term buy, in my opinion.How are Nike and Adidas similar? ›
Both companies market towards athletes and sport lovers. They also sell sports equipment as well;not just shoes. Another thing they have in common is that they sponsor house known athletes around the entire world. To add, both companies are household names in themselves.How much difference is Adidas half size? ›
But for most sizes, the adidas centimeter sizing (defined as 'JP' size) progresses linearly with a 0.4 centimeter difference every half-size. Like any other brand, only the centimeter size represents the true length of your feet.Does Adidas have different sizing? ›
Is Adidas shoe sizing different? Yes, Adidas has its own sizing system that is different from other brands. For example, a size 11 in Adidas is equivalent to a size 11.Is Adidas advantage true to size? ›
True to size. We recommend ordering your usual size.Should I go half a size up for Nike? ›
Tips. Buy Nike shoes either a half size or a full size up, even if going off of the Nike shoe size chart. For example, if an individual typically wears a 10 or a 10.5, a Nike size 11 would most likely fit the best. People that have wide feet will most likely want to order a half size up.
Why are Nike sizes smaller? ›
Nike is notorious for having a narrow design. For many people, this means needing to get a size 1-1.5 inches BIGGER than their normal size. It's not necessarily “smaller”, just skinnier. But most people don't have long, boney feet like characters in Medieval paintings.Why does Nike fit small? ›
Do Nike Shoes Run Big Or Small? Overall, Nike has a reputation for running small. While the length is generally normal, the smaller fit comes from pairs with stiffer padding or a narrower width.Which is more expensive Adidas or Nike? ›
Nike Listed as Most Valuable Apparel Brand at $32.4 Billion; Adidas Ranks 3rd. Nike remains the highest-valued apparel brand in the world, with a valuation of $32.4 billion, according to Brand Finance.Who has more market share Nike or Adidas? ›
Footwear market share of Nike and adidas as of 2017, by region.
34.2% of respondents claimed that they prefered Adidas over Nike or other athletic brand. A whopping 55.9% prefer Nike over Adidas or any other brands.Who is Nike's biggest competitor? ›
Adidas. With annual revenue of $22.12 billion, Adidas is the biggest competitor of Nike. The brand actively serves across 55 countries via more than 2500 stores worldwide. Founded in 1924 by Adolf Dassler and Rudolf Dassler, the brand is the largest sportswear manufacturer in Europe and the second-largest globally.Is it OK to mix Nike and Adidas? ›
I wear Adidas and Nike together almost every day and I love the way they look, especially with Nike AF1′s and Adidas essentials sweatpants. I, in fact, might rather wear Nike with Adidas then one of the two brands by themselves. So in short, yes, it is perfectly fine to wear Adidas with Nike.What shoes are comparable to Nike? ›
- Adidas. Established in 1949, Adidas is a global brand and Nike's top competitor. ...
- New Balance. Founded in1906, New Balance expanded to become one of the top footwear brands in the world. ...
- Puma. Puma and Adidas have a long history that goes back to 1948. ...
- Reebok. ...
- Converse. ...
- Fila. ...
- Under Armour. ...
- NIKE Inc Headquarters. United States of America. No. of employees. 79,100. Revenue. $46.7B. ...
- Puma SE Headquarters. Germany. No. of employees. 16,444. Revenue. $8.0B. ...
- Lululemon Athletica Inc Headquarters. Canada. No. of employees. 29,000. Revenue. $6.3B. ...
- ASICS Corp Headquarters. Japan. No. of employees. 8,861. Revenue.
Nike competitors include adidas, Skechers U.S.A., New Balance, ASICS America and Steve Madden. Nike ranks 1st in Overall Culture Score on Comparably vs its competitors.
Does 0.5 shoe size make a difference? ›
Is a Half Size in Shoes a Big Difference? A half-size represents a 1/8” difference. It may not seem significant but is enough to distinguish between comfort and discomfort. Because there is no standardisation for shoe sizing, a half size difference will also depend on the brand of shoe.Is it OK to go up half a shoe size? ›
The only time that you could wear a shoe in a bigger size is when purchasing a sneaker but you should only go up about half a size. The reason for this is that our feet tend to swell because fluid accumulates due to gravity with prolonged standing and weight baring activities.What is the difference between 9.5 and 10 shoe size? ›
Length: There is approximately a 1/6" difference between each half-size (e.g., between 9 and 9.5, between a 9.5 and a 10, and so on) For every half size up, the width (across the ball) will increase by 1/8"What is the shoe size difference between 8.5 and 9? ›
There is approximately 1/6” between size increments, so a size 9 is 1/6” longer than an 8.5 and 1/3” longer than a size 8.What size is XL in Adidas? ›
|Product label||1. CHEST||3. HIP|
|L 42/44 | 44/46||40 - 44"||40 - 44"|
|XL 46/48 | 48/50||44 - 48"||44 - 48"|
|2XL 50/52 | 52/54||48 - 52"||48 - 51"|
|3XL 54/56 | 56/58||53 - 58"||51 - 56"|
Unlike Nike, Adidas sizing tend to run true to size or slightly bigger. Nike has a reputation for running small, especially when it comes to their shoes.How do you measure your feet for Adidas? ›
With your pencil pointed straight down, trace the outline of your foot on the paper. Mark the tip of your big toe and the outermost part of your heel. 3. After tracing your foot, use your ruler to measure the distance between your big toe and the outermost part of your heel to learn the length of your foot.Are Adidas Cloudfoam true to size? ›
Comfy but run large. These shoes are super comfortable. That being said, they so not run true to size. I usually wear a 6 1/2 or 7 depending on the style of the shoe.Are Adidas Superstars wide or narrow? ›
However, the adidas Superstar is a rather narrow cut and relatively tight shoe. In the long run, especially with models with leather uppers, it could become uncomfortable to wear if you have extremely wide feet. Those affected should consider another model with a stretchy upper or at least half a size upsize.How do you know if Nike shoes are too big? ›
When you first try on your shoes, check to make sure there is space in the toe box to wiggle and stretch. Then, walk around in your shoes. Check to make sure your foot doesn't slip in and out of the shoe and the ankle collar doesn't rub. Both are signs of an ill-fitting shoe.
Do Nike af1 run big or small? ›
Does the Air Force 1 run big? Yes. It's almost universally agreed that the shoe, no matter if you choose to wear the low, mid, or high-top version, fits a half size big. We suggest going a half size down from your standard Nike shoe size.When shoes are half size too big? ›
There are a few things you can do if you brought shoes that are 1-2 sizes too big. One option is to stuff the shoes with socks or newspaper to make them fit better. Another option is to wear thicker socks or put on heel inserts. You could also try using shoe stretchers to help make the shoes bigger.Why are Nike so big? ›
In 1971, the company would become Nike Inc. and the iconic Swoosh logo was born. As the years passed, Nike introduced a bevy of innovative sneakers to the marketplace, attracted the biggest names in sports to endorse the brand and dominated the athletic footwear industry from its headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.Why are shoe sizes getting smaller? ›
Changes in how your body stores fat as you age also may impact how your feet look and feel. The fat pads that cushion the bottom of your feet grow thinner as you grow older, which can make shoes fit differently.How big is a size 14 woman? ›
Yes, Nike Dunks fits true to size. This applies to all low, mid and high-top versions of the silhouette. You may opt to go up or down half a size for a roomier or snugger fit.Can a size 12 fit a 11 shoe? ›
Different manufacturers size items differently. What you should do is try on the size 12. They might fit, or they might not fit (could be too big or even too small). In shoes, as in clothing, a size 11 is not the same for all brands and types.How big is size 12 woman? ›
|5'5"–5'9" (165–175 cm) tall, average bust, average back|
In 1952, following the 1952 Summer Olympics in Finland, Adidas acquired its signature three stripe branding from Karhu Sports, for two bottles of whiskey and the equivalent of €1,600.Why are Adidas so expensive now? ›
Limited supply, insatiable demand — The Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA) have noted that footwear prices are seeing the fastest rate of increase in the past 20 years, with year-to-date prices up by 3.2 percent.
What country buys the most Adidas? ›
Global distribution of adidas retail net sales in 2021, by region.
|Characteristic||Share of net sales|
Since Horst Dassler, the son of Adolf Dassler, passed away in 1987, adidas was sold and is no longer family-owned. Instead, Adidas is now owned by Adidas AG, a multinational corporate group owned by several shareholders.Who is bigger under Armour or Adidas? ›
adidas's brand is ranked #58 in the list of Global Top 100 Brands, as rated by customers of adidas. Their current market cap is $5.62B. Under Armour's brand is ranked #231 in the list of Global Top 1000 Brands, as rated by customers of Under Armour. Their current market cap is $9.34B.Is Nike the biggest brand in the world? ›
Nike retains title as world's most valuable apparel brand while luxury brands boom after COVID-19 | Press Release | Brand Finance.What company makes more money Adidas or Nike? ›
There are many ways to measure athletic brands, but among the three companies under consideration here, Nike is by far the largest. As of Jan. 6, 2023, it has a market capitalization of over $194 billion, while Adidas and Under Armour have market caps of about $25 billion and $5 billion, respectively.What is the #1 athletic brand in the world? ›
1. Nike. Nike is known as the biggest sports brand in the world. With an estimated market cap of roughly $200 billion, Nike is by far the most valuable sportswear company, more than doubling the net worth of Adidas, its closest competitor.Which Nike shoe has sold the most? ›
The top-selling athletic sneakers for 2021 (in revenue rank order) are as follows: Nike Air Force 1 Low, Nike Air Max 270, Nike Air Vapormax Plus, Nike Revolution 5, Nike Air Max 97, Adidas NMD R1, Nike Air Max 90, Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit 3, Jordan I High OG, and Jordan XIII.Who is Adidas owned by? ›
Instead, Adidas is now owned by Adidas AG, a multinational corporate group owned by several shareholders. The majority holders are football club Bayern München and Austrian fitness company Runtastic.What is Adidas best selling? ›
In 2021, an estimated 6.59 million people used Adidas sports shoes, making them by far the brand's most popular product. Ranked second was Adidas sports clothing at 4.9 million users.Who is number 1 Nike or Adidas? ›
Nike is the larger business overall and the market leader in the global sports footwear industry with revenues from their footwear of over $24.2 billion in 2018, compared to Adidas footwear revenue of $15 billion.